Traditional Chinese Medicine Treatment for Arthritis
There are more than 100 types of arthritis. The most common types are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. In Western medicine, the medications that used to treat arthritis vary depending on the type of arthritis. Physical therapy may be recommended for some types of arthritis. From the perspective of Traditional Chinese Medicine, arthritis and joint pain are considered as a blockage in the smooth flow of qi and blood throughout the energetic pathways in the body. They can be caused by wind, cold, dampness invade the body and enter into the joints.
Acupuncture Treatment for Arthritis
TCM practitioners will treat the root cause of the illness with acupuncture treatment combined with herbal formula. Chinese medicine may be able to cure arthritis with mild symptoms. With severe symptoms, acupuncture can be used to relieve arthritis pain. The relief of arthritis pain using acupuncture has been studied by researchers from all over the world. Acupuncture points to ease arthritis pain are located all over the body, not just over the affected area. Results indicate that the use of acupuncture can be an effective form of pain management.
Arthritis Pain Relief
1) For patients who have arthritis or joint pain, self-massage can be difficult. Biomat is a good solution to relieve arthritis pain at home. Similar to acupuncture treatment, it can help to remove any blockages in the body. It can also relieve arthritis pain by delivering warm infrared heat to the affected areas.
Where to buy: Amethyst Biomat
2) Acupressure mat is another arthritis or joint pain relief method you can use at home. It can increase blood flow which relieves pain and tension. The mat is covered in thousands of plastic needle points to stimulate the acupressure points on your back. The recommended method is using the mat directly on your skin. For first time user, you may want to lay a towel over the mat to reduce the intensity of the plastic needle points.
Where to buy: Acupressure Mat
3) There is a liquid formula has been used by martial artists in China. It is still widely used today to treat all kind of injuries. Zheng Gu Shui is a famous Chinese herbal liniment for the temporary relief of minor aches and pains of muscles and joints.
Where to buy: Zheng Gu Shui for Pain Relief
How to use: You can soak cotton balls with the solution and apply to the affected area. You should keep the affected area moist with the Zheng Gu Shui, and wrap the soaked cotton balls around the affected area with gauze or plastic wrap. If there is a wound on the affected area, you can apply the Zheng Gu Shui to surrounding area to help speed up the healing process.
Chinese Herbs for Arthritis
1) Lei Gong Teng (Thunder God Vine, Tripterygium wilfordii Hook F) is a traditional Chinese herb long used to treat autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis. It can reduce pain and inflammation and treat the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. Studies suggest that Lei Gong Teng works as well as prescribed medications for rheumatoid arthritis. However, it can cause many side effects such as stomach upset, skin reactions, vomiting, diarrhea and kidney problems. It also has antifertility effects in both women and men. You should consult with your doctor before you use this herb.
Where to buy: Thunder God Vine
How to use: Thunder God Vine can be used in the forms of powder and capsules.
2) Jiang Huang (Turmeric) has been traditionally used to reduce joint pain in Chinese medicine. Studies suggest that the natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of turmeric may benefit patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Where to buy: Turmeric
How to use: Turmeric can be used in the forms of powder and capsules.
3) Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan is used to treat osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Where to buy: Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan
How to use: Du Huo Ji Sheng Wan can be used in the form of pills.